Any parent will tell you that earaches are no fun for the child… or the parent. However there are simple and effective home remedies and natural treatments you can try to help relieve and perhaps even shorten the duration of ear infections in kids.
Check these quick and unusual ways that might help relieve your child’s ear infection symptoms.
- Elevate the mattress a little and put gravity on your side. By elevating the mattress it will help fluid drain away from the eardrum
- Pull the earlobe down and out with a light ‘massage like’ pull to help slightly stretch the eustachian tube open
- Put a few drops of garlic extract in the ear (check out the full article for the simple steps). Garlic has great anti bacterial properties.
- Try a 2 drops of room temperature olive oil into the infected ear. Olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties
- Add a warm compress over the affected ear for 10 minutes
- See a chiropractor. The upper spine has been show to be closely associated with the function of the ears with a lot of research supporting the efficacy. See below.
Study: 332 children who suffered with otitis media (ear aches) received chiropractic adjustments. The results showed there is a strong correlation between chiropractic adjustments and the resolution of otitis media for children.
(Source: Fallon JM, The role of chiropractic adjustment in the care and treatment of 332 children with Otitis media. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics, Vol 2, No. 2 1997 Pages 167-183.)
In addition to clearing out the nose and sinuses with saline spray and a suction bulb and additional rest, the above tips might just help your baby recover more quickly.
For further explanation of the above tips and other ideas visit the full article
Thanks for Josh Infantado, RN and Dr. Stacy Rapp, pediatric chiropractor at Express Chiropractic Fort Worth for input on this article.
And as always if symptoms are getting worse consult your MD to ensure there are no other more serious conditions.